We’ll introduce you to tried and tested structured writing techniques that will help you plan and write clear and informative reports. Well-constructed reports mean your readers will be able to quickly find and understand the information they need, giving you the results you seek.
Writing Reports is one of our Business Writing for Success suite of courses that run in Sydney and Melbourne.
- Duration: 1 day
- Pre-requisites: There are no pre-requisites for this course
- Analyse and plan a report
- Apply the structured writing approach to writing
- Create a document outline and sequence it appropriately
- Use appropriate templates
- Write effectively using plain language
- Present information appropriately using lists, tables and graphics
- Edit reports
- Reader and writer challenges
- Types of reports
- What makes a business case or proposal successful?
Analysing and planning
- Identifying your purpose and intended outcomes
- Analysing your readers
Structured writing – design guidelines
- What is structured writing?
- Structured writing in action
- Elements of structured writing
- Design guideline
- Chunking guideline
- Advance organiser guideline
- Consistency guideline
- Proximity guideline
Structured writing – units of information
- Units of information
- Bite headings
- Types of bite headings
- Topic headings
Creating an outline
- Approaches to identifying your content
- Templates – instant outlines
- Examples of outlines for business cases and proposals
- Creating a customised outline
- Different approaches to creating outlines
- Reader focused dialogue approach
- Persuasive writing
- Using executive summaries and appendices
- Plain language
- Choosing the right words
- Using the right tone
- Sentence construction
Presenting your business case or proposal
- Presenting text
- Presenting tables
- Presenting graphics and charts
Editing your document
- The editing stage
- Editing against your plan
- Editing for structured writing
- Editing for readability
Before the course
Do you want to get the most out of this experience? To prepare for your Business Writing course, please:
Bring along 1 or 2 examples of an email or short document you have written.
If you need help or advice, email us at email@example.com or call 1300 768 550.
2 weeks after the course
Take time to revisit your action plan, written during the course, and your course workbook.
You might want to review some key concepts from the course, including:
Thinking clearly about your document’s purpose, outcomes and readers before starting to write.
Using Plain English to keep your writing concise and easy to understand.
Using a personal and positive tone.
Using headings, white space and bullet points to guide readers through a document.
What will you commit to improving in the next 2 weeks?
If you need help or advice, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1300 768 500.
4 weeks after the course
These activities can assist you in enhancing business writing skills:
Asking for feedback from 2 colleagues on how your writing has changed since attending the course.
Reflecting on which of the key concepts from the course have you found most useful, and why.
Committing to an action plan to continue to develop your writing skills.
We would love to hear about your results! Please get in touch by sending an email to email@example.com
|Name||Date||Time||Location||Cost (inc GST)|
|Writing Reports||23 May 2019||09:00 am - 04:45 pm||Sydney||$743|
|Writing Reports||13 June 2019||09:00 am - 04:45 pm||Melbourne||$743|
|Writing Reports||15 August 2019||09:00 am - 04:45 pm||Sydney||$743|
|Writing Reports||21 November 2019||09:00 am - 04:45 pm||Sydney||$743|
|Writing Reports||29 October 2019||09:00 am - 04:45 pm||Melbourne||$743|
Not quite the content you’re looking for?
Need a course you can’t find content for on our website? We have quite possibly the largest catalogue of course content in Australia! Let us know what you’re looking for and we will customise something for you.