We’ll introduce you to tried and tested structured writing techniques that will help you write clear, concise and consistent documents. More effective documentation means your readers will be able to quickly find and understand the information they need to act, saving everyone time and effort.
Writing Policies and Procedures is one of our Business Writing for Success suite of courses that run in Sydney and Melbourne.
- Duration: 2 days 90min Virtual Classroom
- Pre-requisites: There are no pre-requisites for this course
- Establish a writing framework
- Use a structured writing approach
- Write effective and consistent processes, instructions and policies
- Present information effectively for results
- Use MS Word tools to help structure your writing
- MCI Solutions Tandem methodology
- What is structured writing
- Structured writing in action
- Elements of structured writing
Before you start writing
- What you will need to know
- Sourcing your information
Setting up a writing framework
- Design guidelines
- Advance organisers
Analyse your information
- Categorising information
- Task-based & reference-based information
Analyse your document
- Analysing purpose
- Audience analysis
- Content analysis
- Delivery analysis
Building blocks of structured business documents Units of information
- Benefits of a modular approach
Designing your content
- Identifying content using a document framework table Structuring and sequencing your content Prototyping
Writing and presentation guidelines
- Using the right language
- Presenting lists, tables & graphics
- Document standards and style guides
- Guidelines for writing processes Using tables, flow charts and diagrams Dealing with long processes
- Guidelines for writing instructions Using tables, flow charts and diagrams Dealing with long instructions
- Guidelines for writing rules
- Using rules in processes and instructions
- Guidelines for writing terms
- Writing definitions
- Guidelines for presenting structures Complex structures
- Guidelines for presenting facts
- Using lists, tables and graphics
Trialing, handover and evaluation Editing
- Handover & evaluation
MS Word tools for structured writing Creating and modifying Styles
- Creating a Table of Contents
- Using Autotext and QuickParts Creating a template
- Taking screenshots
- Testing readability
Before the course
Do you want to get the most out of this experience? To prepare for your Business Writing course, please:
Bring along 1 or 2 examples of an email or short document you have written.
If you need help or advice, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1300 768 550.
2 weeks after the course
Take time to revisit your action plan, written during the course, and your course workbook.
You might want to review some key concepts from the course, including:
Thinking clearly about your document’s purpose, outcomes and readers before starting to write.
Using Plain English to keep your writing concise and easy to understand.
Using a personal and positive tone.
Using headings, white space and bullet points to guide readers through a document.
What will you commit to improving in the next 2 weeks?
If you need help or advice, email us at email@example.com or call 1300 768 500.
4 weeks after the course
These activities can assist you in enhancing business writing skills:
Asking for feedback from 2 colleagues on how your writing has changed since attending the course.
Reflecting on which of the key concepts from the course have you found most useful, and why.
Committing to an action plan to continue to develop your writing skills.
We would love to hear about your results! Please get in touch by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
|Name||Date||Time||Location||Cost (inc GST)|
|Writing Policies and Procedures||2 & 3 July 2019||09:00 am - 04:45 pm||Sydney||$2310|
|Writing Policies and Procedures||22 and 24 October 2019||09:00 am - 04:45 pm||Sydney||$2310|
Not quite the content you’re looking for?
Need a course you can’t find content for on our website? We have quite possibly the largest catalogue of course content in Australia! Let us know what you’re looking for and we will customise something for you.